We have learned from our friends and colleagues at the Central Illinois Professional Wastewater Operators (CIPWO) that the IEPA will begin requiring Continuing Education Units from wastewater operators. This long-anticipated requirement will become effective on July 1, 2019.
What we’ve learned so far:
- The clock starts for all operators on July 1, 2019.
- All Class 1 & 2 operators will have until July 1, 2022 to earn their 30 CEU’s.
- All Class 3 & 4 operators will have until July 1, 2021 to earn their 15 CEU’s.
- After this initial rotation, ALL operators will go to a 3-year renewal period.
- The Agency is reducing the field time required for Class 1 certifications. The eight years of field experience (and in combination w/coarse work) is being reduced to six years.
- All operators are encouraged to set up an online account with the Agency to track CEU’s. Water operators currently have this ability and has proven very effective and efficient.
- Renewal fees are unknown at this time.
Please stay tuned as we learn more.